This post may contain affiliate links. I will be compensated when a purchase is made through these links.
When you’re moving out for the first time, you’re going to need a few things for your new place. And the room in your new home that definitely needs some items is the kitchen. You can’t do much in your kitchen without a few things.
But, the kitchen is also the area people tend to go overboard on when shopping for new items. There are so many gadgets and kitchen things that stores convince you that you absolutely need, when in reality, you really don’t need that much.
So with moving out a year and a half ago, going way overboard the first time, and having to downsize my kitchen items after moving into an even smaller kitchen this past August, I’ve figured out what’s really necessary to have in your cooking space (and what’s not.)
- Forks, Knives, Spoons – DUH
- Wooden Spoons (so multi-purpose!)
- Slotted Spoon
- Knife Block (or sharper knives for things like meat and bread!)
- Plates & Bowls
- Wine glasses
- Measuring Cup
- Mixing Bowls
- To-Go Containers (think Rubbermaid or Ziploc)
- Cutting Board (3 max! You really don’t need more than that)
- Pot (1 medium and 1 large is nice)
- Frying Pan (again, a small and a large is nice)
- Cookie Sheet
Gadgets & Small Appliances
- Can Opener
- Bottle Opener
- Cheese Grater
- Salt & Pepper Shakers (you can find so many cute ones online!)
- Coffee Maker (only if you drink coffee of course!)
Items That Are Nice To Have (But Not Essential)
Some of these very well may be essentials for you (and some definitely are for me!), but that totally depends on if you’re a big baker or cook.
For me, I’ve got to have all the baking supplies because I bake on a regular basis, but if that’s not your thing, you totally don’t need to spend your money on these items!
- Mixer (either a hand mixer or a stand up mixer, think KitchenAids)
- Apple Cutter (this one is essential for me cause I have no idea how to cut an apple otherwise LOL)
- Muffin Tin
- Cookie Scoop
- Egg Separator
- Potato Masher
- Rolling Pin
- Rice Cooker
- Measuring Cups & Spoons
- Spoon rest
Fun Kitchen Items
- Popcorn Maker
- Waffle Iron
- Mini Donut Maker
- Wooden Tablet Stand (I love this when I’m using a Pinterest recipe!)
So many of these items you can find at the dollar store (and they’re good quality still!), so I highly recommend checking there first before blowing your money at home goods stores. Many items, especially utensil items and dishes you can get in sets which can ultimately be a lot cheaper than purchasing each separately.
I also ordered a lot of items online when I was stocking up my kitchen collection, and that saved me a little cash as well.
So there ya have it! A pretty basic guide to items you need in the kitchen. Of course you can even cut this more minimal, but for comfort sake I feel like these are the necessary items.
What is your favourite gadget or appliance to use in the kitchen? I’m definitely a major fan of my mini donut maker, I mean c’mon, look at them!