I don’t know about you, but I can’t go to any sports game, festival or theme park without forking over the 5+ bucks for a delicious soft pretzel. Sad thing is, I’m not at those places very often.
I give you NO YEAST Homemade Soft Pretzels.
I absolutely adore these. They don’t come with the grease you get with the commercial ones, they’re super simple, AND they don’t require any yeast. Bonus, right!?
First you gotta throw the first six ingredients in a bowl and mix them all up! After you have your dough all ready, plop it on the counter. divide it in two and give it a good knead.
Then comes the frustrating part. Letting it sit under your bowl for fifteen minutes. UGGGGH, I hate recipes that make you leave your dough to rest. But! It’s for the best. So we let it sit. This is when I’ll get my pans ready, decide what toppings I want, maybe catch a couple minutes of Friends (my latest obsession).
Yay! Time’s up and we can start making stuff! Time to divide each ball into four pieces. (I doubled my recipe here, so your balls may be smaller than these ones appear to be).
Then you gotta roolllll your balls out into long snake like ropes. I recommend not putting too much flour on your dough, as I find that if the dough sticks to the counter a little bit, it’s easier to roll. Anywho, roll that bad boy out until it’s around a foot, maybe just over a foot long.
Then comes the tricky part! The ol’ pretzel shape. Basically you grab both ends, twist them around each other, then fold them back down over the loop! Easy explanation right!? Hah. Just google a picture of a pretzel and you’ll figure it out.
Next, you plop those wonky pretzel shapes on your pan, give them a good egg wash bath, sprinkle on your favourite toppings (mine is salt, maybe cinnamon sugar sometimes), and pop them in the oven for about ten minutes!
And bam! There ya have it. Yummy homemade pretzels that don’t break the bank, or leave you feeling greasy and gross.
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2/3 cups milk
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- topping (salt, cinnamon, oats)
- Preheat oven to 425°F
- Stir together the first six ingredients to make a soft dough.
- Sprinkle 2 tbsp of flour on the counter. Divide dough into two balls. Knead it. Put bowl upside down over balls for 15 minutes.
- Divide each ball into four balls, resulting in eight total balls. Roll each ball into a long rope, about a foot in length and form into pretzel shape.
- Spray cookie sheet and place pretzels on pan.
- Beat egg and brush over pretzels. Sprinkle on your desired topping.
- Place in the oven for 9-11 minutes, or until slightly golden brown.
- Let cool, then dig in!
- You can also create pretzel bites for dipping if you'd prefer. Instead of forming the rope into the pretzel shape, leave the rope straight and cut into eight pieces. Place on the pan, egg wash and sprinkle with salt, and cook for about 8 minutes. Yum!